Andover Townsman, Andover, MA

Breaking News

February 20, 2014

Andover mother killed in accidental CO poisoning

An Andover mother of two who previously worked for the local school district is among the victims of this week's accidental carbon monoxide poisoning deaths in Plaistow, N.H.

Maryanne Comparato, 47, was one of three people killed after the deadly carbon monoxide filled a home at 5 Center Circle in Plaistow, N.H., where she spent the night after returning from a professional convention.

Comparato worked with special education students at the elementary level in the Andover School District for about two years before leaving her position about six months ago.

The other victims were identified as Kirk Walsh, 32, who owned the house, and John Adams Jr., 28. All three died as a result of accidental CO poisoning.

A fourth victim, Keith Small, was found unconscious at the scene and was taken to a hyberbaric chamber at Massachusetts General Hospital. A coworker said he remained in critical care Thursday.

The investigation continues, but preliminary results show the propane heating system likely was the source. That's from an announcement by state Fire Marshal J.William Degnan, Plaistow fire Chief John McArdle, and Plaistow police Chief Stephen Savage.

Officials are analyzing the furnace and its installation. The investigation will continue for the next several days, officials said.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Breaking News

Pictures of the Week