Andover Townsman, Andover, MA

News

January 17, 2013

Youth Center pulled from Feb. meeting

(Continued)

With the move to April’s Annual Town Meeting, construction could still begin as early as August, according to Stapczynski.

Nancy Jeton, building committee chairwoman, said ground could be broken as early as July if planning moves quickly. Either way, she said the change “is a positive thing for the youth center.”

“It got a lot of visibility last week. I was impressed by the questions that people on the volunteer boards asked,” she said. “They were very thoughtful, insightful questions that we would have gotten to eventually. But to see them all converge in one week, I think, was very useful for people.”

After hearing Stapczynski’s logic behind moving the articles to Annual Town Meeting, the Board of Selectmen signed a one-article Special Town Meeting warrant, with the only issue facing voters being the Bancroft Elementary School vote.

With extra time to talk about youth center details, “I’m very confident that we’ll continue moving this process along and get a terrific building that everyone’s proud of,” Jeton said.

Residents who seek to put a private article on the Annual Town Meeting warrant have until tomorrow, Jan. 18, to act. They must put together the language for their article and gather 10 petition signatures from registered Andover voters, and submit the papers for certification to the town clerk’s office within Town Offices at 36 Bartlet St. by 4:30 p.m. on Friday.

For feedback or story-related inquiries, email dluca@andovertownsman.com.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
News

Pictures of the Week
Stocks