The Andover Townsman
---- — The Andover Historical Society and the Foster’s Pond Corporation are teaming up for a special presentation March 20, 7 to 9 p.m., at Memorial Hall Library on people and events that have shaped Foster’s Pond and the surrounding community over the last three centuries.
The pond traces its name to Andrew Foster, Andover’s 22nd settler, whose wife, Ann, died in prison following her “confession” during the Salem witch trials in the late 1600s. Today, the 120-acre lake is surrounded by 250 acres of publicly accessible conservation land, including the Foster’s Pond Dam (owned by the FPC), the Foster’s Pond Reservation (a cooperative effort of the Andover Conservation Commission and the FPC), and Goldsmith Woodlands (managed by the Andover Village Improvement Society).
Founded in 1939 at the urging of Frances Foster, one of Andrew Foster’s heirs, the corporation describes itself as a non-profit community-based organization dedicated to protecting the pond, maintaining its 150-year-old dam, and promoting public access.
The March 20 event is the Foster’s Pond Corporation’s annual meeting. The public is invited, admission is free, and guests do not have to join the FPC to attend.
“Andover is extremely lucky that so many of the people who, over the centuries, have been drawn to this magical place have had the generosity and the foresight to pass its unspoiled beauty on to later generations,” said FPC President Steve Cotton in a release. “The March 20 event is a chance for us to connect with some of those people and understand how their lives have affected our own.”
Historical Society Vice President Jane Dietzel Cairns, Executive Director Elaine Clements, and others will speak on a variety of topics related to history in the area, including the dams at Foster’s Pond, Lucy Foster’s Acre, and Bessie Goldsmith.