Andover Townsman, Andover, MA


December 12, 2013

Two years later, couple's murder remains a mystery

Almost two years after the execution-style murders of John and Geraldine Magee shook their Orchard Crossing neighborhood, the couple’s family continues to search for answers.

No arrests have been made in the case and few clues have surfaced about possible suspects or motives, leaving relatives to remain in the dark, without closure.

“It’s very hard for the family,” Jeff Greene, Geraldine Magee’s nephew, said this week. “We all just, to this day, really have no idea what went on and what led to this.”

On Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011, John E. “Jack” Magee, 69, and Geraldine M. “Jeri” Magee, 67, were both found shot dead on the first floor of their 14-room home at 7 Orchard Crossing at around 9:18 a.m.

A dozen hours earlier, their black Lexus SUV was found burning in Boston’s North End.

Authorities said from the start that they had no person of interest. But from day one, now-retired Andover Police Chief Brian Pattullo assured the public that “the circumstances lead us to believe there’s no further threat to the Andover community.”

Greene said the Magees’ family has spent a lot of time the last two years in a game of speculative play-by-play, hoping to uncover some explanation for who would have wanted the couple dead.

“We run a lot of different scenarios through our head, and none of them make any sense,” he said. “You’d like to figure the mystery out, but it doesn’t seem like there’s a solution at this point — nothing that could give rise to this kind of result.”

On Tuesday, the Essex County District Attorney’s office and Andover Police Department issued a joint statement saying the investigation “remains active and a high priority.

“We will continue to pursue every lead until we find the person or persons responsible for this tragic murder and seek justice for the Magee family in court,”District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said in the statement.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

Pictures of the Week