By Dustin Luca
---- — A candlelight vigil honoring the victims of last week’s Boston Marathon bombings is in the works for next Wednesday night, May 1, at The Park on Chestnut and Bartlet streets.
The event, scheduled to start at 6:45 p.m., was approved by the Board of Selectmen Monday night with conditions after Town Manager Buzz Stapczynski informed event co-organizer Bill Pennington of the process required to hold an event in town.
Pennington said the event will feature opening remarks from Ted Teichert, a former selectman; a recognition of first responders, blessing, lighting of candles and a bagpipe-led march down Chestnut, Morton and Bartlet streets.
“One thing that helps the healing process is to come and meet, and chat and share your stories,” Pennington said. “That’s what we’re going to focus on.”
The possible use of a sound system complicates the process, according to Stapczynski.
“We have electricity at the gazebo, but if that’s being used, we have notification of the neighbors and abutters,” Stapczynski said.
After approving the event with conditions, the selectmen took matters in their own hands. Selectman Dan Kowalski offered to donate a generator to Pennington, and board Chairman Paul Salafia asked Stapczynski, “Can we just make sure, since it’s only May 1, it’s right around the corner, that we can expedite and get all our town departments to jump through hoops for this?”