Andover — Brother John Joseph Del Casale, O.S.A., was born on August 25, 1947, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the son of Joseph and Grazie (Buontempo) DelCasale. He had five brothers and four sisters. He was baptized on October 5, 1947, at Saint Monica Catholic Church, Philadelphia. He attended Saint Monica Parish School and Bishop Neumann High School, Philadelphia.
From 1965 to 1967, he worked at Boeing-Vertol. In 1967, he entered the Province's Brothers Formation Program, at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, N.Y., and then at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, N.Y.. On August 27, 1969, he was received as a novice, and after a year at Good Counsel Novitiate, he professed first vows on August 28, 1970. From 1970 to 1974, he lived and worked at the Augustinian Collegiate Seminary, Villanova University and also attended classes at the university. He professed solemn vows on October 13, 1974, at his home parish of Saint Monica, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Brother John was then assigned to Saint John of Sahagun Friary and Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington, DC, where he worked in the school's business office, (1974-1977). From 1977 to 1982, he served at Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Bronx, N.Y., in the parish's business office and assisted with liturgical celebrations in the church. From 1982 to 1998, he served at Saint Augustine Friary, Villanova, Pa., as community treasurer, guest master and then prior, (1994-1998). He was the first brother of the province to receive approval from the Vatican's Congregation for the Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life to be prior of a community in which there were clerics. From 1998 to 2000, John was on sabbatical.
In 2000, he was assigned to Saint Augustine Parish Friary, Andover, Massachusetts, where he served in the parish's business office, and from 2002 to 2012, he served as the friary's treasurer and prior. John used his talents to enhance the liturgical and community environments where he served. He also ministered to the elderly members of Saint Augustine Parish, Andover,.