100 Years Ago—March 28, 1913
Eaton’s poolroom and several local stores were raided on Saturday morning by Chief Mears and agents of the Watch and Ward Society, and nine slot and card machines and so-called gambling devices were seized. Four machines were taken from the poolroom, one from Brennan’s bakeshop in the Musgrove building, three from John Svenson’s on North Main Street, one from McKenzie’s in Abbott Village.
L.D. Pomeroy has announced that he will not accept the appointment of police chief, owing to business responsibilities. No further appointment has been made by the selectmen.
Miss Sarah E. Higgins has moved from High Street to Harry A. Ramsdell’s house, 16 Summer St.
Mrs. M. A. Murphy, dressmaker, will open rooms on Main Street, near Morton street, at an early date.
Miss Marion Dearborn has been confined to her home on Elm Street by an attack of the grip.
75 Years Ago—March 25, 1938
Phillips Academy’s bird sanctuary is to become an arboretum. On Monday work was started on dismantling the bird houses and cages, and the birds were being shipped to game clubs in Attleboro, Hingham and Worcester. The sanctuary has had a ten-year history, with 100 birds having been there when it was first started. At times there have been as many as 2,000 birds there.
An attempted burglary at the office of Dr. William Fleming was thwarted last Sunday afternoon about 3 when Mrs. Sanderson who lives in an apartment near the office, heard the noise of breaking glass. She came out into the hallway, and the thief, apparently one of a group that has been making visits to dentists’ offices after office hours, fled down the stairs and up Chestnut Street.
A truck was badly damaged and a house and lawn were slightly damaged Sunday morning when the truck, stopped while making a milk delivery, rolled down Harding Street hill. It rolled across the concrete front walk of the Seacole residence, ran over a hedge and lawn and crashed into the side of the house.