100 Years Ago — Jan. 10, 1913
New steel shelves were placed in the vaults in the town house this week.
A chimney fire broke out at the home of Frank E. Gleason on High Street on Monday of this week. No serious damage resulted.
A regular meeting of the Andover club will be held on Saturday evening. After the meeting, progressive whist and a smoker will be enjoyed.
The insurance offices have just issued a large fire alarm card which contains all the boxes now in service. Copies may be obtained from the insurance offices on application.
The Colonial Club held a very successful dancing party in the town hall on Friday evening, about 150 couples being present. Music was furnished by the Columbian Orchestra.
75 Years Ago—
Jan. 7, 1938
Two representatives from Lawrence Gas and Electric Company, Messrs. Patterson and Gray, attended the school board meeting Tuesday night at the board’s request in order to explain why the school electric rate is so much higher than the domestic rate.
Household furniture, books, pictures, rugs, draperies, statuary, musical instruments, silver, watches, jewelry, fuel and provisions, are all included among the taxable items which every resident of Massachusetts is required to report to his local board of assessors during the month of January. Anyone who fails to file a true list of his household furnishings, etc. during this month runs the risk of having to pay a tax 50 percent higher than he would if he does file the list.
The announcement by Dr. Nathanial Stowers this week that he would not be a candidate for re-election to the school board was the most important political news of the week, although rumors continued rife about candidacies for various offices.
50 Years Ago — Jan. 10, 1963
The Town Employees Association and Town Manager Thomas E. Duff have agreed to a salary package for 1963. A percentage increase that amounts to approximately $200 a year, for policemen and firefighters, and about that amount for other employees including those paid on an hourly basis, has been approved.