Andover Townsman, Andover, MA

Townspeople

November 15, 2012

All Those Years Ago

100 Years Ago — Nov. 15, 1912

The fire department was summoned about four o’clock this morning to the residence of R.N.C. Barnes on Sunset Rock Road, where a fire was in progress inside the house near one of the fireplaces. Part of the casing in the room and a bookcase as well were burned to considerable extent.

Barnstormers who want to see the first plays must pay their dues at once as the time before the play is short. Anyone who joined the association last year, and has not received a bill this year is asked to please send her name to Miss Agnes Park as soon as possible.

Miss Dorothy Kaye of Frye Village is recovering from an illness that has confined her to her home on Haverhill Street for nearly a month, and she will soon resume her duties at the Shawsheen Mill office.

J. Tyler Kimball cashier of the Andover National Bank, underwent an operation for appendicitis at his home on School Street last night. He is now resting comfortably.

75 Years Ago — Nov. 12, 1937

Armistice Day exercises were held at 11 yesterday morning at the Legion lot at Spring Grove Cemetery, with the Legion and British War veterans taking part.

All the town officials have been invited to a round-table meeting tonight by the directors of the Andover Taxpayers Association, in the lower town hall starting at eight. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss a proposal for long-time planning of extraordinary expenditures.

Punchard High will travel to Methuen tomorrow a heavy favorite to win the annual contest, unless an epidemic of colds continues to leave the local ranks depleted.

Wood Hill Road in West Andover is a combination gravel and mud road little known save for its very few inhabitants and the many young couples who have forsaken the front-room sofa. You can park your car diagonally across the street for hours without having to move it to let traffic go by, for there is no traffic to speak of. Wood Hill is mostly wood, partly hill and not much road. Three weeks ago tonight the Andover Fire Department became acquainted with the road when the stove of Francois Victor Henuset flared up and leveled his humble little abode. Save for some poultry, three quarters and a half dollar was all that he had left, and even those coins were melted beyond recognition. Town welfare agent Arthur Cole sent the coins to Washington through the bank and in place of the fused metal the government returned $1.25 in red-tapeless speed. And almost as fast as the federal government renewed the money, a number of persons and agencies in Andover started to renew the very discouraged life of a 62-year-old man left destitute and homeless by a faulty stove.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Townspeople

Pictures of the Week
Stocks