July 17, 2008

Preservationists honor those who keep Andover's heritage

July 17, 2008

Those who help preserve Andover's architectural and written history have been honored with the 2008 18th annual Preservation Awards.

The Andover Preservation Commission gives the awards in collaboration with the Andover Historical Society and the Ballard Vale Historic District Commission This year, a committee made up of members of all three organizations evaluated nominations submitted by the public and selected "11 outstanding examples of preservation effort within the town of Andover. Residences, businesses and individual craftspeople or preservation activists were considered."

Awards were given in four categories: sympathetic additions to historic residences, appreciation for ongoing exterior preservation, contextual appropriateness in new design and construction and individual and group contribution to historic preservation.

Awards were given to:

267 Andover St.

Ballardvale National Register Historic District

Award: Contextually Appropriate Design in New Construction

Owners: Doug Ahern, builder, Jayaram Adirya, owner

 

2 Riverina Road, circa 1920

Style: Vernacular "Ten Footer"

Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District

Award: Sympathetic Addition

Owner: Timothy Gillespie

 

15 Barnard St., built 2006

Award: Contextually Appropriate Design in New Construction

Owner: Richard W. Lally Jr.

Lally II Realestate Trust, John McArdle III, Jr. administrator

 

41 School St., circa 1850

Style: Transitional Greek Revival

Award: Exterior Preservation

Owners: Patricia and Robert Linnemann

 

73 Bartlet St., built 1888

Style: Queen Anne

Award: Sympathetic Addition

Owners: Melanie and Seth Bilazarian

Architect: Stanley Black

 

75 Central St., circa 1880

Style: Transitional Late Greek Revival

Award: Exterior Preservation

Owners: Diane and Michael Sullivan

 

76 Salem St., circa 1860

Style: Craftsman/Vernacular Farmhouse

Award: Exterior Preservation

Owners: Lisa Battaglia-Schwartz and Steven L. Schwartz

 

215 Lowell St., circa 1820

Style: Greek Revival

West Parish Center National Register Historic District

Award: Exterior Preservation

Owners: Carol and Stephen Sawin

 

Joan Silva Patrakis, local historian

Award: Certificate of Appreciation for Historic Preservation

 

Andover Garden Club

Award: Certificate of Appreciation for 80 Years of Preserving and Beautifying Andover's Public Spaces

 

Historic Web site development team, which created www.mhl.org/historicpreservation

Award: Certificate of Appreciation for Historic Preservation

Members are: Dean Baumeister, Jim Batchelder, Norma Gammon, Karen Herman, Bill Mitchell, Cord Ohlenbusch, Richard Olson, Fran O'Neil, Lynn Smiledge and Karen Wakeling

 

For comments about each winner from the judges, see related Web-only story.

 

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints