100 Years Ago— Oct. 18, 1912
On account of the several cases of rabies in town, the selectmen have decided to order all dogs muzzled or restrained for the next 60 days.
An alarm of fire was sounded on Tuesday evening for a brush fire in the woods on the Peter D. Smith estate. The trouble was quickly over-come with little loss.
Charles Coffey of Lawrence was given six months in the house of correction by Judge Stone in the local police court on Monday for stealing hens. Many complaints have been heard of late from residents of Frye Village, Burnham Road and the lower end of High Street in regard to chicken thefts.
One of the mechanics at work on the new Tyer factory was arrested by the police Wednesday for public drunkenness, as he was found in an intoxicated condition asleep on a lawn near the center of town. No charge was brought against him and he was released on Thursday morning.
75 Years Ago— Oct. 15, 1937
The Board of Public Works has now under consideration an offer of two second-hand boilers which if found satisfactory for use at the local pumping station would represent a substantial saving to the town.
Dead three hours, Kenmick R. Smith, 32, an optician of Boston, was found slumped in his car with the motor running, off Rattlesnake Hill Road last Saturday morning. Monoxide gas was given as the cause of death by Medical Examiner Dr. John J. Deacy.
The hold-up at Howard Johnson’s restaurant in May resulted in long prison sentences for three Greater Boston men when they pleaded guilty in Superior Court last Saturday.
The Lawrence Cooperative Bank of Lawrence has sold the old Shattuck-Parker store and buildings on Andover Street to Ralph and Lincoln Sharpe of Ballardvale. The sale was made through the Fred E. Cheever real estate office.