100 Years Ago: Dec. 24, 1920
Forty teachers and scholars gathered in the Goldsmith Library of the Punchard Building last evening and had a very merry Christmas party. A prettily decorated tree adorned the scene of the festivities. Carols were sung under the leadership of Miss Ruth Mitchell, and Miss Helen Higgins read a Christmas story after which everyone joined in playing games.
Iron standards for electric lights are being placed on the A.V.I.S wall at the side of the common in Elm Square.
The children of the employees of the Smith and Dove Company were guests at a Christmas party given by the management this afternoon in the village hall under the direction of Miss Harriet Johnson. Ice cream and cake were served after which the Christmas tree and Santa Claus in the person of Eugene Le Archer who distributed oranges, candy bags and toys were the center of interest.
Thirty-five dollars is the sum contributed to the Hoover relief fund by the pupils of the Stowe School, this amount being voluntary contributions from their own spending money.
75 Years Ago: Dec. 27, 1945
The six sons of police officer and Mrs. John Deyermond, 11 Shawsheen Road, were together for the first time in six years at Christmas this year. All six of the boys are now out of the service. They are John Jr., Robert W., William J., Calvin C., Warren H., and James W. Deyermond.
Christmas is getting out of hand again. For quite a while everybody did a pretty good job of shopping early and mailing early, but this year something went haywire completely. The stores on the day before Christmas were just jammed with late shoppers, and Postmaster Steve Boland who had breathed a sigh of relief as every bit of mail was out of the post office last Saturday, found a carload waiting for him Monday morning. Probably the trouble with the stores was that there wasn’t much to buy anyway, and people had to keep active until the very last- minute scavenging for something worth giving.
50 Years Ago: Dec. 31, 1970
Looking back on 1970, as we prepare for a new year, one might classify the year as one of personalities, what with the retirements, resignations, and general changes in town offices. One of the major changes had to be the retirement of William A. Doherty from the School Committee. Doherty had served the School Department for over 35 years before he announced that he would not seek re-election last March. In his honor, the town renamed the Central School to the Doherty School, with an addition to that facility planned.
Not too long after Doherty announced his retirement, another man submitted his resignation to Town Manager J. Maynard Austin. Donald Bassett, superintendent of the Water Department for many years, decided to conclude his municipal service in order to devote time to assisting underdeveloped countries. In March, Irving Piper, town clerk, for the past 10 years officiated at his final Town Meeting. The retiring Piper was replaced by Elden R. Salter. Mrs. Beatrice M. O’Brien, superintendent of the Ballardvale station of the Post Office, retired after several years in the postal service.